Thursday, January 19, 2012

Facing Obstacles

I received an email recently from a friend from high school.  He mentioned that my fitness blog made him laugh because I was always so into fitness as a kid.  Funny, I don't remember that.  Actually, I remember the opposite.  Maybe I WANTED to be into fitness and appeared to be but didn't take actual action.  Or maybe obstacles got in the way. Things like phone calls, boys, homework, all of that pesky, annoying stuff we call life.

What do you do when you're trying to stay in or get in shape?  I suspect what you deal with is the same as many others.  Life has a way of throwing curve balls when we're expecting a home run.  Stuff happens and we have to deal with it.

Yesterday was frustrating for me.  I had a few things come up that put me in an emotional place I don't like and I wanted to eat.  Anything and everything.  I even made brownies, using my kids as an excuse.  For lunch I had dessert and told myself it was okay because I was out with a friend I hadn't see in forever.

The truth is, it WAS okay.  Treating myself sometimes isn't horrible. It's L.I.F.E  but how we look at that is what makes it an issue and how we let it impact the rest of the day becomes an issue too.

I came home and made the brownies.  I had one.  If my willpower had not been stronger than I expected, I could have eaten more of them and made myself sick.  I could have thought, "Well, I might as well eat them since I had dessert and blew the day anyway." but because of some switch that's turned in me and my desire to baby step my way to better health, I didn't.  I continued my day eating well and drinking water.

This morning I am tired.  I didn't sleep well, thinking about a friendship I enjoyed and sad that it recently ended due to circumstances I understand but can't control.  I stayed awake feeling sad for my friend and wishing I could make things better.  I know I can't but that doesn't stop me from wanting to.  Probably I made them worse but that's a lesson I've got to learn.  I ended up sleeping only a few hours.  It wasn't pleasant.  I have not worked out yet and decided to take my son to Chik Fil A for breakfast before school.  I gave up Diet Coke and all other sodas for the new year and decided this morning I needed and deserved the Diet Coke.  My son told me it wasn't a good idea but what does he know? He's only 12!  By the time I'd made the decision to get in and got into the restaurant (a 1 minute time frame, if even), I had changed my mind and didn't get it.  It wasn't worth it.  I actually REMEMBERED BEFORE THE FACT that having it would make me want more and I'd be back on the same horse I was before.

I don't like that horse and chose not to get back on it.

We can overcome the daily obstacles.  It takes a little will power and a little motivation, but we can.

What will you do for yourself today to improve your health and well being tomorrow?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this amazing sort of stuff.I liked this so much.
    You may try to see this Tucson dentist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its too nice to see this blog.I was in search of a blog like that.
    Fountain Valley Dentist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! After reading your blog and sweat comments of people.It forced me to say that gorgeous this is.

    Cincinnati Dentist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I was just wandering on server in health related articles.After reading this blog , I get enforced from this to comment on it.You can meat me at
    Burnaby dentist

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read that Post and got it fine and informative.

    HGH FRAGMENT

    ReplyDelete